For the love of vintage--Shops I'm missing during quarantine

(Antique shop in Charleston South Carolina)

Maybe it started when my grandmother used to take me to her favorite flea market by our house growing up.  'My Favorite Place' was full of what most people would objectively call junk. It was big and dusty, and product didn't move quickly, but there was a dedicated following of people who came regularly to see what had moved around. My grandfather would drive us over and drop us off a couple times a month and send us in to explore while he read the newspaper in the car. I acquired many a treasure there including the set of twenty-five 90's style troll dolls for $5.00 that the casher patiently counted out in quarters I had saved up. 


I was hooked early and was always enamored with vintage clothes and decor (I liked to dress victorian for a while...). When I met my boyfriend and visited his house for the first time, I was pretty psyched to see it decorated with historic prints an decor like the 1970s trolly sign that used to display the location of each stop on a UK bus (purchased at Room and Board, currently not available), and the historic french school map pictured below (also from Room and Board, similar prints linked). I love that some 'bigger box' sores like Room and Board and Rejuvenation have one of a kind pieces that can bring a lot of character to the space. The price point of some of the items is pretty high, but they can also be replicated using purchases from Etsy and Ebay as well, explore your options!


 Our shared interest in eclectic and unique decor had us visiting all the local antique shops that we could. If you are in the Annapolis/Baltimore area, we have checked out quite a few of the local antique stores. I know antique vs. vintage can be tricky terminology in terms of age of product, but most of the shops we've visited have been some combination of both so I use the term somewhat interchangeably. I could give a full ranking of every shop we've been to but honestly I think more importantly are the ones that I think you actually should visit. 

(www.facebook.com/AntiquesAtAnnapolis/)

The first is Antiques at Annapolis. Situated on the side of the highway, it may not appear impressive at first but step inside and you will be amazed by how much amazing product they carry! Booths are rented by individuals who consign their merchandise and run their own sales and prices. I love shops with this business model because it means you will have a huge variety of merchandise at all different price points. Do you want a booth of just old military paraphernalia? They got it. Retro cookware and pyrex designs? They have that too. The shop weaves on for what seems like forever allowing you to spend hours sifting through the different hidden corners. Personal highlights include the vintage clothing booth (which carries a wide variety of sizes!) and the vintage kitchen decor right when you walk in. If you are looking for a way to spend a couple hours, you have to check it out!


Please ignore the horrible mirror selfie, but this awesome blazer (which came with a matching skirt) from when the British occupied Hong Kong is from my all time favorite shop in Annapolis! Evergreen Antiques is on the historic Maryland Ave in the shadows of the State House. The shop is small, but the curation is unbelievable! One of my favorite things about this shop is how fast merchandise turns over and the quality of all the merchandise. You don't have to sift through junk to find quality items here, everything is high quality. 

 Before the pandemic we would go almost every weekend when we walked around downtown and I would always see something new. They have an awesome selection of both men's and women's clothing (in many sizes! I'm not a traditional vintage size!) as well as home accessories, jewelry, purses, and furniture (see the amazing mid-century paper lamp below we got there.  When it's on it gives off an awesome warm light from the base). The prices are super reasonable and the owner of the shop is so kind, knowledgable, and friendly! You have to check it out if you are in the downtown area. 



After you finish at Evergreen, keep wondering down the cobblestone streets to Old Fox Books (interior pictured below). Though not a traditional antique store, it sells a mixture of both new and used books with a wonderful little coffee shop in the back. The decor is amazing, upstairs is full of big oversized leather chairs and a fireplace. The basement, accessed down a winding iron staircase, is a Harry Potter-esk stone room covered in books that makes you feel like you are browsing right in Hogwarts! I can't neglect to mention the amazing outdoor space they have with patio tables, fairy houses, and a tiny kids hut made entirely of books. 

Maybe I have a soft spot for the shop since I went on my first date with my boyfriend there, but honestly I've never brought someone there that doesn't love it. A special shout out to their vintage science and math section which has the most amazing collection of fun technical texts that makes my nerd heart sing (see picture above in side basket for a few of my retro math books). The books are very reasonably priced and high quality. The owner of the shop is also incredibly wonderful and helpful! A great way to spend some quiet time in the middle of the day.


Feel free to comment below if you have been to any other awesome shops you think should have made the list or are in the area and want a more extensive list of options! Of all the things I am missing during the quarantine, I am definitely missing going and browsing though these local shops and can't wait to go back when things become safer. 

(Vintage finds from Holly, Michigan) 

Not only have I found the aesthetic of antiques and vintage pieces appealing, it is also so much more sustainable and ethical as well. I've recently done quite a bit of reading (and podcast listening, and Youtube watching) on the fashion industry and have seen some pretty disturbing trends on human rights and environmental impact. I can't say that I've cut fast fashion/decor out of my life completely (student budgets make that difficult), but I can say that I am more conscious of my purchases and their potential impacts. Buying second hand and local has more of an impact than you may expect and the excitement of the find makes it even more fun. If you live in an area where antique and vintage shops are hard to come by, or you are like us and stuck inside during the pandemic be sure to check online! There are some amazing shops that sell online and can support local business during these difficult times I've linked some below. Check them out! 


Shops mentioned above:

Local shops:

Bigger box shops: 
(check out their great customer photos section ;-) )

Online shops (that I've personally used):



Comments

Popular Posts